Anthony and Alyse spoke to Smart Cells to tell us why they decided to store their baby’s stem cells.
1. Could you please provide a brief intro of your career/background?
Professional rugby player for 8 years. Played 110 times for Bath, 46 times for England and 3 times for British and Irish Lions.
2. Why did you decide to store your baby’s stem cells?
We decided to store our baby’s stem cells to be able to have the most advanced treatment options for our child and future children as well as family members. As a parent, it seemed like a no brainer to be able to provide in case of any eventuality for our child and future proof against various illnesses.
3. Had you heard about stem cell banking ever before? If so, where?
I had heard of the use of stem cells for rejuvenation of joints due to my career. However, having done my research alongside conversations with Smart Cells the massive range of treatments it can provide is far greater than I had thought or heard about.
4. What has your experience been like with Smart Cells?
Great! From the collection process to the informative element of it – Smart Cells have been nothing short of excellent. Always happy to explain things that were not immediately understood. Really put our mind at ease with regards to the whole process and the storage element as well.
5. Did the process work as you had expected it to? Did you find it to be an easy process?
100% – it was even easier than expected. The phlebotomist was calm and easy to deal with during a period of high stress – which made the whole thing so much easier. I was expecting to have to deal with numerous people at the hospital – gaining clearance etc, especially due to COVID but this was not the case. Smart Cells handled it all!
6. Are there any obstacles that would have prevented you from using our service?
Definitely not. Once you have been informed both through Smart Cells and your own research , it really becomes a no brainer.
7. What would you say to a friend or colleague who was thinking of using Smart Cells?
I would and will continue to be a massive advocate for the service – in an area in which the possibilities of its use are only going to grow and grow. Nobody can predict the future – so as a parent safeguarding against possibilities, no matter how unlikely, is paramount. When you combine this with the ease in which Smart Cells makes the whole process, it really is simple.
9. What would be your advice to any parents who are looking into storing their baby’s stem cells?
I would suggest to initially have an in-depth conversation with Smart Cells about its possibilities. Ask as many questions about the process and the treatments it can be used for. Combine this with your own research and make an informed decision.
10. Is there anything else you wish to add?
The staff at Smart Cells were all excellent, all patient, fully informed and polite. Enhances the experience massively and is something often neglected in service’s such as these.